Municipal Utilities

Utility Billing Information

The City of Winsted provides municipal water, wastewater, and storm water services to the residents and businesses located throughout the City.  

Meter Reads

The City of Winsted has installed radio read meters in each residence and business.  Meters are read remotely each month by Public Works Department staff.  Water meters measure usage in gallons.  The Public Works Department may inspect meters from time to time and may require free access at reasonable hours of the day to all parts of a building or premises connected with the City water supply system in order to read meters and make inspections. 

If you experience higher than normal water usage, please consider the following items:

    • Is it the time of year for outside watering or sprinkling?
    • Is there a faucet leaking or dripping in your home or an outside spigot?
    • Do any of your toilets fail to shut off after flushing?
    • Is the water softener functioning correctly? 
    • Is the water heater functioning correctly?
    • Are appliances leaking that are connected to a water source?
All of these items may dramatically increase the amount of water that flows through your meter.  Watch for these items if your usage seems higher than usual.  If you suspect a problem, take a meter read before going to bed and again when you wake up.  If the meter reflects a usage of more than 20 gallons overnight, there is most likely an issue that needs to be resolved.  For additional information regarding leaks and water usage, visit the Minnesota Rural Water Association website.  

If you have questions regarding your meter or maintenance of the meter, please contact the Public Works Department at (320) 485-2201.

Utility Bills

The City bills monthly for water and sewer services.  Water charges are based on actual usage each month.  Sewer charges are based on the actual water usage.  Bills should arrive in the mail on or around the 25th day of each month and are due on or before the 10th of the following month.  A late fee is applied to accounts with unpaid balances after the 10th. Your utility bill is printed on a letter size paper.  The top portion of the bill is perforated and should be returned to City Hall with your payment each month.  The bill includes charges for water usage, sewer usage, base charges for access to the water & sewer systems, the State of Minnesota testing fee, debt service fee for water system improvements, maintenance fee for general maintenance and a park improvement fee, which is designated for park improvements throughout the community.  If you have questions regarding your water meter or utility bill, contact City Hall at (320) 485-2366.

Billing Cycle

Bills are mailed by the 25th of each month for usage from the prior month.  Bills are due on or before the 10th of the following month.  A $5.00 late fee is applied to payments received after the 10th of the month. When the 10th falls on a weekend or holiday, payment will be accepted without a penalty the following business day.  

Delinquent notices are mailed to the account owner each month an account is delinquent.  Other fees may be incurred and water may be shut off with proper notice for delinquent accounts.  Disconnect notices are posted for accounts that remain past due.  The disconnect notice states the day services will be discontinued if the account is not paid in full.  If water is disconnected, a disconnection and re-connection fee must be paid before the service will be connected.  If the re-connection is made after normal business hours, an additional fee may be charged. Delinquent accounts may be certified to property taxes prior to the end of the year.  

Utility Bill Payments

Payments can be mailed, dropped off at City Hall during regular business hours.  Payments can also be placed in the drop box located inside the main entrance to Winsted City Hall.  The drop box is available 24/7 and is located on the right or south side of the entry way.  

The City also accepts payments electronically online. To set up your online access visit the Online Payments page. 

For added convenience, the City also offers automatic payments.  Complete the Automatic Payment Form and return it to City Hall with a voided check from the account you wish to have debited.  There is no service fee associated with this service. You will still receive a bill copy in the mail and payment will automatically be debited on the 10th of each month unless you opt out.

If your check or ACH payment is returned to the City by the bank, your account will be charged a returned check fee.  If your account becomes past due because of the returned check, late fees will be applied and disconnection may occur.  

Utility Account Changes

A form is required for all new accounts established or when a change in property ownership occurs. If you are moving to a new address, please contact City Hall at least two days in advance and submit a meter read on your last day.  To cancel utility service, you must submit the date you are changing possession of the property, the service address, a forwarding address for your final bill, and the name of the new owner.  

New accounts should be set up prior to closing or taking possession of the property.  City staff can verify that the previous owner or renter has cancelled service and there are no past due amounts on the account.  To begin service, you will need to provide the property address, owner contact information, and renter contact information (if applicable).  

Sanitary Sewer (Wastewater)

The City of Winsted operates a municipal sanitary sewer treatment system.  The system is designed to collect wastewater from properties withing the City and provide treatment at the City's Wastewater Treatment Facility.  Sanitary sewer users are charged monthly fees that provides funding for the operation, maintenance, and replacement of the system.  In addition, connection fees are charged to new properties connecting to the system to recover costs associated with the increased capacity needed for additional users of the system.  


CLICK HERE for the Utility Application & Change Form